Thursday, February 6, 2003

OK, more on the new job.

Last month, I saw an ad in the News-Gazette advertising for a part-time receptionist. Seeing as how I had been unemployed for three months, I decided half a loaf was better than none and applied for the position.

Well, last week I got a call from the owner of the paper. He told me he had filled the position, but wanted me to come in and talk to him so he could get a better idea of my abilities and see if he could find something for me through his contacts.

Yesterday he calls me up and says that he wants to talk to me about a position at the paper that had just opened up. He told me it involved "digital imaging, web design, and photography". We agreed to meet this morning at 10 to discuss it.

When I went in this AM, Matt (the owner) sat down with me and told me about the position. It's as photographer for the paper. I'd need to be available during the day, I would take photos and clean them up and prep them for use in the paper, and I'd photograph the set layout for the paper for offset printing.

He took me around the office and showed me the various departments, all the while answering my questions about the position. At the end, he turned to me and said "When can you start?"

It was like he had asked me to marry him. LOL I stood there for a moment, shocked that someone was this ready to hire me that WASN'T part of the food service industry. I looked at him and said "How about Monday?"

He said that was fine and shook my hand, saying "Welcome aboard!"

So I am now gainfully employed as a member of the media. *thankful sigh* And to think that I thought all I'd have to write about was a disturbing e-mail I got from a friend of mine. Maybe I'll work on that later.

No comments: