Thursday, November 30, 2006

Is it a month already?

Actually, I suppose I should title this post, "has it been five years already?", but I'm kinda doing a wrap-up of the past month's worth of blogging here. First, though, I must address some issues.

I started blogging about 5 1/2 years ago, at the urging of my friend Crystal. She had a blog, and I was interested in putting down my thoughts, feelings and experiences as I went through a season at a summer historical drama, located near my home at the time, in North Carolina. I figured it'd be a kind of a cool thing, since I had very little else to do. To be certain, I had no girlfriend to distract me!

All that changed that summer. Late in the season, I fell in love with the woman I was paired onstage with. As the season drew to a close, I decided to start a new blog to chronicle the misadventures of my sure-to-be-doomed romance. Luckily the romance bloomed into a full-fledged marriage, and the sweetest two-year old boy you'd ever care to meet.

The blog, however, has taken a bit of a downturn in recent years. I sort of fell off my game once we moved to Virginia, and my internet connection became tenuous at best. I also had some personal issues to deal with, and I didn't feel much like blogging about them, lest I scratch off some freshly scabbed over mental wounds. I've pretty much moved on from those experiences, though.

So what did it take for me to start blogging regularly again? Well, frankly, it was an idea I got sort-of secondhand from my friend Ombra. At the beginning of this month, she posted an item from someone else saying that this was National Blog Posting Month. It encouraged people to post at least once a day on their blogs. I thought, "Hell, at least I can try it and see how far I get before I just lose interest." Even my wife thought I wouldn't be able to sustain the pace.

And yet, here I am. I think I've managed to post every day this month, despite being sidetracked by one thing or another, and starting off a day late. I believe this may be my most productive month ever, blogging-wise.

In the past month, I have blogged about concerts I went to, and a Christmas pageant I was in. I've shared shuffle lists from my iPod, and listed the songs my son can now sing by himself. I've told tales of game show near-glory, restaurant trauma, and Halloween terror. I have opined on election, and more importantly, I have rolled in the sweet smelling schadenfreude of K-Fed's bogus music career. I punted a couple of times and put up small things I scrounged up on the internet. Most importantly, I said farewell to a friend of mine who went far too soon and much too randomly for my taste.

Will I keep this up through December, and in succeeding months? I don't know. It seems every time I announce I'm back to blogging, I get distracted, discouraged, or otherwise disconnected, and I find another couple of months have passed me by. I won't make any promises, but I will do my best to keep a regular schedule.

See ya tomorrow, I hope.

No comments: