Wednesday, November 8, 2006

The Day After


So, it's the day after the election. I'm feeling several different emotions today; I'm mostly happy, but I'm also feeling some sadness at a couple of issues, and frankly, some schadenfreude.

* We're still waiting out the results for the Senate race in Virginia, and it may actually be weeks before a winner is officially declared, but it appears that Jim Webb will be our new senator. Fine by me; George Allen was a bit too cocky for my taste.

* Virginia is for lovers - some restrictions apply. Although, I am happy that Arizona bucked the trend. Oh, and Missouri approved stem-cell research. And South Dakota voters threw off the odious anti-abortion bill that the legislature passed earlier this year.

* I think it's great that the Democratic party is back in control of at least one chamber of Congress, but I think that once the dust settles and the champagne headaches go away, the party should seek the higher ground and reach across the aisle. I can't speak for everyone, but I for one am sick and tired of people telling one another that they're un-American because of this issue or that.

Today I'm celebrating. Tomorrow, I'm hoping the change begins. It will come slowly, and there's a hell of a mess to clean up, but together we all (Democrats AND Republicans) can restore some sanity and faith in the legislative process.

God bless America. Let love rule.

No comments: