Monday, November 13, 2006

40

I wasn’t sure what to get into this evening. I was thinking about writing something political, then I thought about doing a “Day in the Life” post, and then I was going to do a continuation on my concert posts.

Actually, I think right now I will discuss my age. I turned 40 this year. That’s right – the Big Four-Oh. I’m not sure how to feel about it. On one hand, I’m glad I made it, considering that there have been a couple of times in my life where I very easily might have had the journey ended looooong before getting here.

On the other hand, I can feel my age. I weigh more than I ever have before. This is something I can take care of if I were to get some exercise and maybe watch what I eat. Unfortunately, the other changes are a bit more difficult to deal with. A few months ago, I got my first eye exam ever, and found out that I have mild farsightedness. I have yet to get my prescription filled on that, but I know if I don’t get it soon, it can only get worse. I look in the mirror and I see a man with graying hair and scattered lines, where a much younger kid used to be.

I worry about how much longer I’ll live. There is a history of both longevity and premature death in my family. Two of my grandparents barely lived past 60, and two others lived well into their 80s. My grandmother on my father’s side saw her 90th birthday pass before she died. I hope I can live that long. It would be nice to see possible grandchildren when I am older.

It worries me that I’m running out of time to do the things I want to and need to do. I suppose the time to do them is now. I just need to take the first steps.

Sorry this isn’t your usual yukfest. I just hope someone out there is reading this and understanding where I’m coming from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read your blog in a few days, and this one hit pretty hard considering the past 24 hours. I love you, my friend. Hang in there, take lots of walks with Kathy & Ian.