Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Giving Thanks

I hope I can get this in before midnight, but if I can't, that's cool.

These are the things I am thankful for this year:

My wife and my son, the two greatest joys in my life. They make me laugh, give me love without question, and they complete me (apologies to Cameron Crowe).

My friends, be they a room away or across the nation. I've learned that even if I go months or even years without seeing or hearing from them, that we are never far from the thoughts of one another. To those of you who I haven't seen in years, I wish you well, and hope to see you again someday.

Making it to 40 without becoming all the bad things that were predicted of me. I may not be where I want to be yet, career wise, but I'm getting there. As I once said in a children's show, "slow and steady wins the race."

My family, by blood and by marriage. You are a complete and total crazy quilt of opinions, likes and dislikes, quirks, and temperaments. Thank you for being who you are; I wouldn't have it any other way.

My job. There may be days where it seems like I'd be better off playing "Mr. Mom" all day long, but I still feel what I do is a vital part of the company's operation, and even if I am sometimes overused and underpaid in that capacity, it's what I have.

My country. I am grateful for living in a nation where I can speak out against my elected leaders if I disagree with them, without fear of reprisals or life-threatening consequences. I am glad to live in a land where, if I feel the government is not serving the general welfare, I (and millions of my fellow citizens) can change the government without lifting a gun or making a Molotov.

My God. I thank my Holy Father for giving me life, guiding me through the steps of my life, protecting me from destruction from without and within, and for giving me the gifts I have to survive and thrive in this world.

Oops, I didn't make it to midnight. Looks like I'll have to shake off the turkey nap tomorrow (or later today) to post about... something!

'Til then, true believers.

No comments: