Friday, May 9, 2003

Shooting Sharpton

OK, so clintster.com is on hiatus. For how long, I don't know, but it'll be a while. In any case, I should be putting up pics on my old Clintster's site soon.

In other news, I shot Al Sharpton yesterday. Lemme 'splain.

Every election year, Washington & Lee University hosts a Mock Convention whereby they attempt to predict the Presidential nominee for the non-incumbent party for that year. They've held it since 1908, and since '48 they've only missed the nominee once.

Well, this week was the warm-up to the MockCon, and two of the guests present were Dick Morris and The Rev. Dr. Al Sharpton. I asked to be put on the assignment to photograph the event and my editor agreed.

Yesterday I went out to W&L to check it out. Sharpton was late getting there, but we finally started it up about 4:30. Morris spoke first. He was a little off-putting at first, but I see why Pres. clinton hired him for his 1996 campaign. He knows his politics, and could probably give the Democratic candidates a few pointers.

Then came Sharpton. Astonishing. I kinda caught myself when he got up to speak. He is quite the dynamic speaker, and made some very salient points about the Democratic party and about the presidency in his speech. I got some pretty good shots off, so I was pleased all around.

I called my parents to tell them about it last night. When I talked to Dad, I told him, "Guess which Democratic candidate I took photos of today?"

Dad: "It wasn't Sharpton..."

Me: "It was!"

Dad: "no, no, no, let me guess..."

It took me telling him a couple of times to convince him that I wasn't joking. Heh! That's something for the family scrapbook. I almost wish I'd gotten a pic of me shaking his hand for posterity's sake.

No comments: