Wednesday, January 9, 2002

I found out tonight that Kyle Rogers was killed in an auto crash last night (Monday night). He wasn't even 30. I knew Kyle for about 6 years, but hadn't talked to him in over a year.

I first met him when he was dating Crystal. He was kind of wild then, and I wasn't all that crazy about him, truth be told. But as I got to know him, he grew on me, and I considered him my friend. After he and Crystal broke up, I saw him join the theatre department at USCA, and I saw him do some great things as a technician. I wish he had stayed in school and gotten his degree.

We hung out together, drank some beers, played some cards, watched wrestling together. Maybe it wasn't a deep, meaningful friendship, but ultimately he was a fun guy to hang out with. Now he's gone, and I feel like a little more of my youth is gone by the wayside. Kyle, wherever you are, I hope that you've found yourself in a place of great peace and happiness. I'll miss you.

I know that these aren't exactly stirring words of inspiration, but with everything that's going on in my life, the words just aren't flowing like they maybe should. Maybe I'll be a bit more florid tomorrow. For now...

"Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest"


Kyle Rogers 1972-2002

No comments: