Saturday, September 15, 2001

Obviously the events of the past week are weighing on everyone's mind, and I am no exception. I have tried to come up with some words to express my feelings at this moment in history, but I can find none.

Of course, I am greatly saddened at the untimely loss of so many people in one fell swoop. But beyond that I have a jumble of mixed emotions over what we as a nation should do next. I AM angry at the perpetrators of this action, whoever they may be (and it seems we are getting close to confirming that it was Osama Bin Laden). The baser instincts of my soul tell me that he should be hunted down and killed, as should his associates.

But then I think "and then what?" Will it bring any of the people back to life that died this past Tuesday? Will it restore the missing chunk that was taken out of the Pentagon? Will it magically rebuild the World Trade Center? Unfortunately I don't think it will. I don't even think killing Bin Laden (or whoever is responsible) will stop other terrorist groups from attempting similar plans for whatever nefarious reasons they may have.

So what is the answer? I don't know. All I know is that I am sick and tired of people at work and on radio talking about turning Afghanistan into a "glass puddle". I'm sick of people thinking that this will turn into World War III. I'm tired of being told that Americans' moods are going to be permanently changed by this. Let's just find whoever's responsible, bring him before the World Court, try him, convict him, and send him to Antarctica.

No comments: