Friday, August 15, 2003

Hey, Balance THIS fairly!

In case you haven't noticed, I've changed the subtitle of my blog to "My life, fair and balanced". The reason is that Fox News has decided to sue Al Franken over the title of his new book, which utilizes the words "Fair and balanced"

Fox News claims it trademarked the phrase back in 1995, and that Franken's use of it would create confusion and sully the phrase that FN has worked so hard to claim as its own.

While I believe they'd have a point if Al were starting a news network with that phrase as some sort of trademark, the book in itself is a satire of these ridiculous screeds by the likes of Ann Coulter and Michael Savage which lambaste the left in this country, as well as Fox News itself.

Al himself has dismissed the suit as frivelous, and the publicity has sent advanced orders of his book to #1 on the Amazon charts. In the meantime I am joining many of my fellow bloggers in changing myself to a "Fair and balanced" blog. If Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes want to come after me, I'm right here. They can get my outdated computer AND my busted-up stereo if they win the lawsuit.

In the immortal words of the Only President We Got: "Bring them on." Doinks!

No comments: