Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Gonna give ya barley, spinach 'n tomaters

Kathy and I went down to Roanoke last night to drop her Prius off for its regular maintenance. Not a bad trip overall, especially since I was riding with her. Not too good for her, though, as it appears that we are writing off our formerly favorite Mexican restaurant in Roanoke permanently. It just wasn't very good.

OK, about tomatoes. This is the time of year when people's gardens are reaching full fruition, and as a result, they find that they have a surplus of produce. Thus begins the annual "pawning off of the veggies". Last Saturday, one of our neighbors brought over a passel of tomatoes and cucumbers for us; we ended up using them at the party. Then yesterday, my co-worker Marsha brought me a box full of tomatoes of various sizes and degrees of freshness, saying "take what you want". I ended up taking most of them; I figure I can use them in sauce or something soon. :)

I've heard rumblings from others here at work that they may bring more produce of their own soon. If I'm not careful, the Kath and I will be up to our necks in home-grown from now until November. Not saying it's a bad thing, but there may be some payback next year if I can get a garden patch tilled. That's all I'm sayin'.

No comments: