Sunday, August 23, 2009

YouTube 38

I thought I would take a few moments to sing the praises of YouTube. I know that it may sound a bit like a Ric Romero story, but I have become more and more attached to the service over the past few months.

One big reason I have found myself more into YT is because I am implementing 21st century technology in my classroom. Granted, this is an unusual thing to do as a theatre teacher, but as a tech theatre teacher I find that projectors, DVDs and internet access can only help me as I try to teach students about sets, lighting and sound.

Last week I started a unit in my Fundies class on improvisation, and in order to illustrate it to them, I downloaded several clips of improve troupes playing games and having a rather good time of it. Suddenly, a group of otherwise bored and sullen teenagers became interested and involved with the process. We all had a great time as I guided them through games like Party Quirks and the Question Game.

Another thing I like about YouTube is that I have been able to look up music videos I had long since forgotten. I have also beheld the meme wonder that is Keyboard Cat and, to my slight shame, I have indulged in the meme myself with a work of my own creation. YouTube: teacher, memory box, time waster!

No comments: