Friday, September 19, 2003

Yepper, here it is once again...

the friday five:

1. Who is your favorite singer/musician? Why?
If made to choose one favorite, I'd have to say it's Eddie Vedder. If I could choose two, I'd add Ani DiFranco. They both write lyrics from the heart, and they have a power to move me that is simply amazing.

2. What one singer/musician can you not stand? Why?
Enya! The syrupy voice; the NyQuil-like backing music; the monolithic sameness of her recordings. That, plus the fact that I had to listen to her every frickin' day for six frickin' months kinda soured me on her. Not even having one of her songs in Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring could redeem her of that.

3. If your favorite singer wasn't in the music business, do you think you would still like him/her as a person?
I think I would. I cold see him as someone I could hang out with at the bar after work and bitch about current events.

4. Have you been to any concerts? If yes, who put on the best show?
I've been to many, many concerts (although I haven't been to one in over three years now). The best show would have to go to the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Lollapalooza '92. They truly blew the roof off the place. Oh wait, it was outside in an amphitheatre. Never mind. :P

5. What are your thoughts on downloading free music online vs. purchasing albums? Do you feel the RIAA is right in its pursuit to stop people from dowloading free music?
a) I've done it, I've purchased some albums because of it, but I'm of two minds on it. I don't like the way the record companies have basically rooked consumers over the coals with CD prices over the past decade-and-a-half. However, I think that artists have a right to be paid for their work.
b) I don't know. As a past downloader, I have to say that I found some obscure oldies that I might never have found otherwise. On the other hand, I think the RIAA is being a little heavy-handed in their prosecution of some of the "worst offenders".

No comments: