Monday, July 8, 2002

*sigh* It never ends...

This morning, as I was headed to work, a guy passed me and honked his horn. I gave a sideways glance just in time to see him stick his hand out his pickup truck window and shoot me a middle finger.

I wondered if it was for driving too slow, or if I had changed lanes badly. Then it dawned on me.

He was flipping me off for my bumper sticker.

A few months ago, I had picked up a bumper sticker at ASU that read "Peace is patriotic". I had bought it because I thought it summed up my feelings on war and patriotism in general. In recent weeks I had thought about taking it off or even supplanting it with an American flag or something. Those urges came even stronger after being flipped off this morning.

However, after thinking about it, I am leaving the bumper sticker as it is. I am an American citizen. I love my country, and I support those troops who are stationed around the world, keeping the peace and defending my liberties as well as those of people not only of this country, but around the world.

Even so, I am also a man of peace. I'm not going to go into a rant about George W.'s War on Terrorism policies, or anything like that. I think that the war has managed to accomplish something, in the removal of the Taliban, which was perhaps the most oppressive government in the past 20-30 years.

As I saidm though, I am a man of peace, and I will not be called a "fifth columnist" or have my patriotism questioned simply because I feel that peace is preferable to war. Yes, war may be unavoidable sometimes, but it won't keep me from wolding a candle for brotherhood, equality and a better future.

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments: